Home Buyers Incentives
The government of Canada has two popular programs – the First Time Home Buyer Incentive and the Home Buyers Plan that can help make your dream of purchasing a first home more affordable.
FIRST TIME HOME BUYER INCENTIVE
Canada’s housing agency (CMHC) launched a 3-year, $1.25bn first-come-first-served First Time Home Buyers Incentive (FTHBI) in September 2019.
If you’re eligible, the program can provide you with an interest-free incentive toward your down payment that enables you to reduce your monthly mortgage repayment – making the purchase of a house more affordable. You can receive 5% of the purchase price on a resale home, or 10% of the purchase price on a new property.
You’ll repay the government for this incentive either when you sell your first home, or at 25 years. The repayment is the same % as your original incentive; although it is calculated based on the fair market value of your home at that moment in time.
HOW TO QUALIFY
In four simple steps, we’ll help you through the process.
- Find out if you’re eligible through the CMHC eligibility calculator
- Download, read and sign the:
- Book an appointment with us to qualify for your mortgage* and bring the downloaded materials with you.
- Once you’re approved, we do the rest!
ENROLMENT CRITERIA TO BE AWARE OF:
- You need a minimum down payment of 5% before you start.
- The total household income that you will use to qualify for a mortgage, must be less than $120,000.
- The purchase price of the property, including the 5-10% incentive cannot be more than 4 times your income.
- One of the borrowers must be a first-time homebuyer**.
- The house purchase must close on or after November 1, 2019.
The Andersons are looking to buy their first home and want to take advantage of Canada’s First Time Home Buyer Incentive. Find out more about the incentive: https://t.co/wxOrfgbv6I pic.twitter.com/qW5pHYsMm1
— CMHC (@CMHC_ca) June 17, 2019
RRSP HOME BUYERS PLAN
The Home Buyers’ Plan (HBP) is a separate government program that can also be used in conjunction with the First Time Home Buyers Incentive. The program allows first time home buyers* to borrow up to $35,000 ($70,000 for a couple) from your RRSP for a down payment. These funds are considered tax free, as long as you repay the amount into your RRSP within a 15-year period.
HOW TO ENROL
- Download and complete the government’s T1036 form.
- Book an appointment to qualify for your mortgage with us and bring this with you.
HBP ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA TO BE AWARE OF:
- Borrowers must be first-time homebuyers.
- You must intend to live in the house within one year of purchase as your primary residence.
- RRSP funds must be in your account 90 days prior to withdrawal.
- You must make the annual RRSP repayment amount for funds borrowed to remain tax-free.
Talk to us today to discuss you best option(s).
The Legal Stuff:
**To qualify as a first time home buyer, you must meet one of the following criteria:
- you have never purchased a home before;
- you are experiencing the breakdown of a marriage or common-law partnership; or,
- in the last four years, you did not occupy a home that you or your current spouse or common-law partner owned.